Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Whole30 Eating Plan

Scott and I have been following the Whole30 eating plan for the past three weeks.  Scott followed it diligently for the better part of the three weeks; I followed it diligently for the better part of three days...

It promotes 30 days of clean eating - no wheat, no dairy, no sugar, no legumes, and no alcohol (amongst other things).  The idea is to reset your digestion and your metabolism.  I'm not sure that I completely buy into the science on their website but I was intrigued enough by the idea to try it out.

I did really well for the first three days and then had a melt-down on the evening of the third day.  I ended up eating some cheese and half an english muffin *gasp*.  I don't do well with severe food restrictions (again, I'm writing this blog simply because I love food!) and it felt good to give myself some freedom within the eating plan.

After I allowed myself a small amount of flexibility within the plan, I've actually found it pretty easy to stick to. I've learned to enjoy the break from carb heavy meals and I've incorporated way more fruits/veggies into my eating habits.  I've discovered that I feel better (which is a hard thing to explain) when I'm eating less dairy and less gluten.  Most importantly, I've appreciated the opportunity to become mindful about my eating habits.  I will never be one to turn away from dairy, wheat, or sugar completely but I'm more conscious of what I put in my body and I'm more aware of the importance of seeing food as fuel, rather than something that just makes you feel good.

No comments:

Post a Comment