Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Pancakes

It's probably not a coincidence that the first recipe I ever memorized was my mom's recipe for pancakes.  After all, my first word as a baby was "pankies".  This, according to my mom, was my word for pancakes - a favorite food of mine since I was a wee babe.  My mom has always called her recipe "French Pancakes" and although I have no idea what it is that makes them 'French', I do think that this pancake recipe is pretty darn good.  

I've known how to make pancakes for about as long as I can remember - mostly because the measurements in this recipe are easy to memorize.  Making pancakes from scratch only takes about 10 minutes and is well worth the effort.  Some of my best food memories as a child come from the nights when my dad was at work and my mom made us pancakes for supper - yum!


Ingredients:
1 cup milk
2 eggs
1/2 tbsp sugar
1 tbsp oil
1 cup flour
1 tsp baking powder

Directions:
1. In a large bowl, add milk, sugar, and oil. Using a small bowl, separate your eggs into whites and yolks. The egg whites go into the small bowl and the yolks go into the large bowl. Mix the egg yolks, milk, sugar, and oil together with a spoon.
2. Beat your egg whites with a rotary or electric beater.  Your egg whites should be beaten until they form gentle peaks, about 2-4 minutes.
3. Sift your flour and baking powder into the large bowl.  Whisk together until the flour is just mixed in.  
4. Gently fold your egg whites into the pancake batter.  
5. Brush a hot griddle with a small amount of oil.  Cook your pancakes on one side until bubbles start forming in the batter.  Flip and cook the other side until golden brown.  
5. Serve with butter and lots of maple syrup!

Serves 2-4 people (depending on how many pancakes you can eat)

No comments:

Post a Comment