Thursday, November 28, 2013

Pork burgers with feta and tzatziki



Remember when I posted that recipe for Paleo pork balls? Ever since that time, I've thought about making pork burgers with feta and topped with tzatziki. But, for whatever reason, I never got around to making them. And while I do love the pork balls, I've been getting a little bored of them lately as they are in frequent rotation on my 'busy working momma' menu plan. Boredom is the mother of invention in my kitchen and so, enter pork burgers with feta and tzatziki!

I had some idea about how I wanted the burgers to taste and a quick internet search gave me the rest of  the tips that I needed to make my recipe come to life. These burgers would be great if they were cooked on a BBQ but since mine is currently buried in snow, I fried them on the stove and finished them in the oven when they didn't seem to be cooked through in the middle.

I ate my burgers topped with tzatziki plus sliced tomato and cucumber. I've really cut back on the amount of wheat products that I eat and a big bun didn't seem like it would go well with this meal. However, I think that these burgers would be yummy inside pita pockets, thin burger buns, or even butter lettuce. They would also be good with some thinly sliced red onion but I was fresh out. C'est la vie!

Pork burgers with feta and tzatziki (Adapted from TasteofBBQ.com)

Ingredients:
1 lb ground pork
10 shakes Worchestershire sauce (approx. 2 tsp)
1 tbsp lemon juice
1 tbsp chopped fresh parsley
1 tsp ground garlic
1/8 tsp red pepper flakes
2 tsp dried oregano
Salt and pepper to taste
1/4 cup crumbled feta

Instructions:
1. Place ground pork in a medium-sized bowl. Add all ingredients and mix together with pork. Only combined until just mixed. 
2. Use your hands to form pork mixture first into balls and then into patties. 
3. Make small indentation in the middle of the burger. 
4. If cooking on the stove top, heat pan over medium high heat. Cook patties until golden brown on each side but take care to not flip burgers too frequently. Burgers are cooked when they reach an internal temperature of 160 degrees. 
5. If using the BBQ, heat it to 400 degrees. Cook patties for approximately 5 mins per side or until cooked to 160 degrees.
6. Topped with tzatziki and serve with tomatoes, red onions, and/or cucumber slices. Enjoy!

Makes 4-5 patties

1 comment: